J&J slapped with $37 million verdict in talc mesothelioma case

9 Apr 2018 by under Legal

640px Talc mutnikSVK01 100x100 J&J slapped with $37 million verdict in talc mesothelioma caseA man who claimed he developed malignant after using Johnson & Johnson talcum powder products regularly for decades was awarded $37 million in compensatory damages by a New Jersey state jury.

The jury awarded $30 million to plaintiff Stephen Lanzo III and $7 million to his wife, Kendra. Johnson & Johnson was ordered to pay 70 percent of the damages and its talc supplier, Inc., was charged with paying the remaining 30 percent.

Lanzo said he used Johnson & Johnson’s talc-containing products regularly from 1972 to 2003. He claimed that Johnson & Johnson was aware that its talcum powder products, like Johnson’s Baby Powder, contained asbestos, a fibrous mineral that causes the deadly form of lung cancer called mesothelioma. But the company failed to warn consumers of this risk.

Johnson & Johnson alleged that it tested its talc for asbestos. But Lanzo’s attorneys charged that the consumer health care giant knowingly used testing methods that were too weak to pick up the amount of asbestos in the talc it used.

The jury also found that Lanzo was entitled to punitive damages. The jury will decide on that award this week.

Lanzo’s is the second case to reach trial alleging Johnson & Johnson’ and Imerys’s talcum powder products caused mesothelioma. The defendants prevailed in the first case. Johnson & Johnson also faces lawsuits from women who claim that the company’s talc-containing products including Johnson’s Baby Powder and Shower to Shower used regularly for feminine hygiene caused them to develop ovarian cancer.

Sources:
Beasley Allen
Law360

Comments are closed.