J&J, Imerys slapped with $117 million in damages in talc mesothelioma case

12 Apr 2018 by under Legal

640px Talc mutnikSVK01 100x100 J&J, Imerys slapped with $117 million in damages in talc mesothelioma caseLate Wednesday, April 11, and its talc supplier Imerys were slapped with a $117 million verdict in a case brought by a man who claimed the companies’ talcum powder contained , which contributed to the development of his malignant mesothelioma.

The verdict was delivered by a New Jersey state jury in the case of Stephen Lanzo III and his wife Kendra. Lanzo claimed that he used Johnson’s Baby Powder and other talc-containing products made by Johnson & Johnson every day for decades. He trusted it was safe, but claimed that Johnson & Johnson was reckless in selling talcum powder because the company knew it contained the carcinogenic fibrous mineral asbestos.

Last week, the jurors awarded Lanzo $30 million in compensatory damages and his wife $7 million to cover medical expenses and loss of wages. Johnson & Johnson was found responsible for 70 percent of the damages, and its talc supplier, Imerys Talc America, was found liable for the remaining 30 percent.

Then jurors deliberated on punitive damages, ultimately hitting Johnson & Johnson with an additional $55 million in damages and Imerys with an additional $25 million.

Lanzo’s case is the second of its kind charging Johnson & Johnson and Imerys with mining and selling talcum powder that contained asbestos that contributed to the development of mesothelioma. The first trial went in favor of the defendants.

Asbestos is a known carcinogen found naturally in talc. It was also widely used in insulation and fireproof materials. Asbestos contributes to the development of malignant mesothelioma, a rare but deadly type of lung cancer that affects the lining of the lungs.

Source: Beasley Allen

Comments are closed.