Woman blames J&J talc for causing rare mesothelioma

24 May 2018 by under Legal

talc justice 100x100 Woman blames J&J talc for causing rare mesotheliomaSince the day Bertila Boyd-Bostic came home from the hospital as a newborn, she was sprinkled with Johnson’s Baby Powder. Every day, multiple times a day, she was powdered – after every diaper change and every bath. When she was diagnosed with an extremely rare and deadly form of cancer caused by exposure, she and her husband and law partner Antoine filed a lawsuit against several companies, including the baby powder maker, Johnson & Johnson. She claimed the consumer health care giant used talc that was contaminated with , which led to her disease.

Boyd-Bostic died at the age of 30 from pericardial mesothelioma. Mesothelioma is a rare type of cancer caused by asbestos exposure that affects the lining of organs. The most common form of mesothelioma is pleural mesothelioma, which affects the lining of the lungs. It makes up about 75 percent of mesotheliomas. Peritoneal mesothelioma affects the lining in the abdomen and makes up most of the remaining 25 percent. Only a fraction of cases of pericardial mesothelioma, which affects the lining of the heart, have been reported.

Boyd-Bostic’s lawsuit claims that Johnson & Johnson’s talcum powder products contained asbestos, a fibrous mineral that has been linked to mesothelioma, and that the company was aware that that its talc was contaminated with asbestos but failed to warn consumers.

Boyd-Bostic’s trial comes just a month after a New Jersey state jury hit Johnson & Johnson and its talc suppler Imerys Talc America with a combined $117 million in damages. Stephen Lanzo III and his wife Kendra sued the companies alleging Stephen’s regular use of Johnson’s Baby Powder through the years caused him to develop pleural mesothelioma.

Johnson & Johnson also faces claims that its baby powder and body powder, which contain talcum powder, can cause ovarian cancer in women who use the product on their genitals for personal hygiene.

Source: Law360

Comments are closed.