Widow sues companies for exposing husband to asbestos

24 Jun 2018 by under Legal

4178172 4178172 american justice series edited 100x100 Widow sues companies for exposing husband to asbestosA woman has filed a lawsuit against , General Electric Co., and , alleging the companies exposed her late husband to asbestos, which led to the development of his deadly lung cancer.

Loretta Salvador filed the complaint individually and on behalf of the estate of her deceased husband Carl Salvador in St. Clair County Circuit Court. She claims that from 1959 to 2009 her husband was exposed to asbestos and either inhaled or ingested the carcinogenic mineral that emanated from certain products manufactured, sold, distributed, or installed by the defendants.

According to the complaint, the Salvadors learned on July 28, 2017, that Carl had developed lung cancer that was allegedly caused by asbestos exposure. He died Nov. 17, 2017. Loretta says the companies are to blame for her husband’s wrongful death because they intentionally included asbestos fibers in their products when they knew the fibers were dangerous to humans. Furthermore, the companies failed to provide adequate warnings and instructions for working with and around these dangerous materials, according to the complaint.

Asbestos is a mineral that contains microscopic fibers. It was commonly used in many building and industry products. Asbestos exposure can lead to serious diseases including asbestosis, lung cancer, and mesothelioma, a rare but deadly cancer that develops in the lining of internal organs, most often the lungs. It can take decades for symptoms to develop after asbestos exposure. The disease usually proves fatal 12 to 24 months after diagnosis.

Source: Madison-St. Clair Record

Comments are closed.