Family compensated for mother’s death from secondary asbestos exposure

4 Aug 2018 by under Legal

clothing on clothes line washing laundry 100x100 Family compensated for mothers death from secondary asbestos exposureWhen Adrienne Sweeney’s husband Bill would return home from work from the boiler-making factory, U.K.-based Babcock & Wilcox, where he was employed through the 1960s and 1970s, he would give her a big hug before removing his dusty overalls. She would then take his clothes and shake them off out the back door to remove the dust before washing them. Years later, Babcock & Wilcox began laundering the overalls in-house. But the damage had already been done.

Neither Adrienne nor her husband realized the dust on his overalls was actually asbestos, and that any movement of the overalls was causing the tiny, microscopic fibers of the mineral to go airborne where they could be easily inhaled and ingested.

is a known carcinogen that has been linked to lung diseases including the incurable asbestosis, and deadly lung cancer, including mesothelioma, a type of cancer that forms in the lining of internal organs like the lungs.

Bill died in 2008 from a heart attack unrelated to his asbestos exposure. In 2015, Adrienne was diagnosed with mesothelioma. Within 12 weeks, she died. He family sued claiming they did not do enough to protect employees from asbestos, and as a result their mother died from secondary asbestos exposure.

On the first day of trial, the company offered the family more than £100,000 ($130,000) to settle their case. The family refused. “We have not brought this case for money,” Adrienne’s daughter Kay Gibson said. “We’ve brought this case because my mum wanted justice.”

The case went to trial and Adrienne’s family was awarded £250,000 ($328,000). The family released a statement following the verdict that stated, “Women like our mother were unaware how unsafe it was to be handling the asbestos dust that came from these work clothes or of the contamination risk.”

Source: Daily Mail

Comments are closed.