Archive for the ‘Legal’ Category

Supreme Court to hear appeal of asbestos exposure case

16 May 2018 by under Legal

Lady justice Dublin L 100x100 Supreme Court to hear appeal of asbestos exposure caseThe U.S. Supreme Court will hear the appeal of a Third Circuit decision in two consolidated lawsuits that held companies accountable under maritime law for -related injuries if the companies could have reasonably known that was added to their products by third parties, according to Law360. (more…)


J&J, Imerys fight $117 million talc verdict

2 May 2018 by under Legal

640px Talc mutnikSVK01 100x100 J&J, Imerys fight $117 million talc verdict and its supplier Imerys America Inc., pressed a New Jersey state court to toss a multi-million-dollar verdict the companies had been slapped with in a case of a man who claimed their talcum powder products contained asbestos and caused the man’s mesothelioma. (more…)


Jury awards $60 million to estate of asbestos victim

23 Apr 2018 by under Legal

whistleblower reward justice 375x210 100x100 Jury awards $60 million to estate of asbestos victimA Manhattan jury awarded a landmark $60 million to the estate of a man who died from the rare mesothelioma after working for years in a plant contaminated with asbestos. (more…)


Many industries hid evidence of asbestos exposure in workplace

21 Apr 2018 by under Legal, News

800px Bauer Elementary ASBESTOS 2 100x100 Many industries hid evidence of asbestos exposure in workplaceBeginning in the 1920s, medical professionals linked exposure to asbestos, particularly in the workplace, to , a rare but deadly form of . In the decades that followed, the use of asbestos in the U.S. declined. Industries that continued to manufacture asbestos-containing products were required to have their workers wear protective clothing such as coveralls or similar full-body clothing, head covering, gloves and foot coverings. Despite these protective measures, workers can still be exposed. (more…)


J&J, Imerys slapped with $117 million in damages in talc mesothelioma case

12 Apr 2018 by under Legal

640px Talc mutnikSVK01 100x100 J&J, Imerys slapped with $117 million in damages in talc mesothelioma caseLate Wednesday, April 11, Johnson & Johnson and its talc supplier Imerys were slapped with a $117 million verdict in a case brought by a man who claimed the companies’ contained , which contributed to the development of his malignant mesothelioma. (more…)


J&J fights punitive damages in talc mesothelioma case

11 Apr 2018 by under Legal

640px Talc mutnikSVK01 100x100 J&J fights punitive damages in talc mesothelioma caseJohnson & Johnson is fighting to skirt punitive damages in a lawsuit alleging the company’s talcum powder products contain asbestos and caused a man to develop the rare and deadly form of lung cancer called malignant mesothelioma. (more…)


J&J slapped with $37 million verdict in talc mesothelioma case

9 Apr 2018 by under Legal

640px Talc mutnikSVK01 100x100 J&J slapped with $37 million verdict in talc mesothelioma caseA man who claimed he developed malignant mesothelioma after using Johnson & Johnson talcum powder products regularly for decades was awarded $37 million in compensatory damages by a New Jersey state jury.

The jury awarded $30 million to plaintiff Stephen Lanzo III and $7 million to his wife, Kendra. Johnson & Johnson was ordered to pay 70 percent of the damages and its supplier, Inc., was charged with paying the remaining 30 percent. (more…)


J&J loses mistrial bid in talc mesothelioma trial

5 Apr 2018 by under Legal

640px Talc mutnikSVK01 100x100 J&J loses mistrial bid in talc mesothelioma trialA New Jersey Superior Court Judge rejected ’s bid for a mistrial in a case brought by a man who claims the company’s talcum powder products contain asbestos and contributed to his developing mesothelioma. The consumer health care giant argued that the plaintiff’s attorney spoke out of turn during closing arguments when he said that Johnson & Johnson withheld information from and essentially lied to the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). (more…)


NJ jury to decide whether J&J talc caused man’s mesothelioma

5 Apr 2018 by under Legal

640px Talc mutnikSVK01 100x100 NJ jury to decide whether J&J talc caused mans mesotheliomaA New Jersey jury has been charged with determining whether hid evidence that its products contained asbestos by using tests that it knew were too weak to detect the cancer-causing mineral, in a case brought by a man who claims regular use of the consumer health care company’s talc products caused him to develop mesothelioma. (more…)


Asbestos case over Scotts fertilizer revived

28 Feb 2018 by under Legal

4178172 4178172 american justice series edited 100x100 Asbestos case over Scotts fertilizer revivedA woman who blamed her husband’s fatal on a fertilizer that contained will get her day in court, a three-judge panel with the New Jersey Appellate Division ruled, Law360 reported. (more…)